Tuesday, July 3, 2012

Never be this young again....

As many of you may know from my previous posts I am behind by a few "events" in my blogs. You may imagine that the last 4 months have been gloriously busy here at the Tye household (and yes, that would be an understatement :)!

In April, we celebrated Easter (which you were able to read about all the incredible details of that in a previous post) and we also took our first family vacation with Gabby. At just 2 months old she traveled by car with us to my cousin's wedding in Tampa, Florida. It was such a nice trip. Gabby was a joy and our travel went very well. It was wonderful to introduce her to my Dad's side of the family. My grandma, Aunt, Uncle and cousin all live in Tampa. We, once again, were able to have 4 generations of girls together. My grandma really enjoyed holding Gabby and we were able to spend 2 days visiting with her while we were there. It was truly a beautiful experience for me and one I will cherish always.

Of course, the first time you take a baby to the beach is always a big deal (and not just because the sand gets in everything - including the clean diapers that are in the bag!)....no it was more than that. Derek often says, "The kids will never been as young as they are right now - not ever again". It is usually his way of telling me not to get all wound up about something they are doing or want to do, but to just let them be the kids they are meant to be. Of course, there are the moments he says it when we are sitting back and watching something that they are getting so much joy from even when we can't understand why it is so exciting to them. Such wisdom in that quote, really. He is right, of course, and I thought of that often quoted phrase as I watched the boys building forts on the beach with the army men strategically placed throughout the sand. I thought about it as I watched Gabby sprawled out in her little "baby beach tent" sleeping away without a care in the world. I thought about it as I looked at my husband lounging in his beach chair with his feet on the sand while the water lapped up to our toes. I began to realize that the kids weren't the only ones that would "never be this young again - ever". We also would never be here again. I didn't think of it in a sad way, though. I thought of it in the context of how much has happened in our lives to this point - our relatively young 30 something lives - and how much we had grown and how much more God would have for us in the coming years. Spiritually we are just babies, really. There is so much for us to learn and do in our future. I don't want to wish these days away by any means, but it is hard not to be excited by what God has in store. In store for us and these 4 little people that I am watching so full of life all around us!

After we returned home we got back into a routine and ushered in the month of May. With that brought graduation celebrations for our boys from various grades into the next. It also brought Gabby's 2nd visit with her cousins Mason (7) and Cooper (5). They were very tentative with her at first. It was as if they had preconcieved notions of what to expect.  Perhaps the fact that she was so little and new made them nervous or left them questioning how to interact with her. Certainly within a few minutes of that first encounter they were in love.  Cooper and Mason both wanted pictures taken with her and they sat with her like they would never see her again. I couldn't help but to be emotional the way they just invited her into the family and certainly into their hearts.
About a month later we took our boys and Gabby to meet Jeannie, Mason and Cooper at Lake Isabella for a fun family evening! Mason and Cooper were both shocked at how much Gabby had grown and how much more she was watching them now.  Even with his cousins playing games on the playground equipment Mason would not leave Gabby's side for the longest time. He wanted to hold her, feed her and just ask a ton of questions about her. It was so sweet, so innocent and so pure. The love that is just naturally there for others in the young innocent heart of a child. Yes, Gabby is our daughter, but yet is a stranger to him. She is a sweet baby, but she gives him nothing in return for his affection at this time. You can't watch that, experience that and not be moved at how that is what God intended for all of us. Not to have the judgment, ill will, presumptions, judgment, bitterness or walls that come with "growing up" in this world. It is convicting. My heart just swelled as I watch this interaction and this little man of God interacting with who is not much more than a stranger to him, with such love, compassion, kindness and patience. Just as God intended it to be for any of us that call ourselves "Christians"  - followers of Christ. It doesn't matter if people do what you want, act the way you think they should, look like you, live in the same country as you or can give you anything in return for what you offer to them. We are called to love - everyone, just as they are. It is certainly a common thread that runs through every life and story that I have ever seen that has been touched by the miracle of adoption. My story has been no exception!

Maybe this sounds familiar? Refer to Paul's letter to the Colossian's: "Therefore, as God's chosen people, holy, and dearly loved, clothe yourselves with compassion, kindness, humility, gentleness and patience." ~Colossians 3:12. Lord, let me be more like a little child - I don't want to grow so hardened by this world and my "hurts"! I want to clothe myself in compassion, kindness, humility, gentleness and patience. Thank you my precious little Mason (and all of the boys for they are all equally loving and gentle in spirit!) for being such a beautiful light in this world and showing me every day the way God intended us to love each other.

Gabby also turned 3 months old in May, I celebrated my first mother's day as the privileged mother of 3 wonderful boys AND a beautiful baby girl - my cup is so full :) We also celebrated Derek's birthday, my mom's birthday and Memorial Day with a beautiful honoring parade in Blue Ash with friends. That actually brings something to mind. The friend that we celebrated Memorial Day with is a birth mom. I have known her for a couple years and had no idea until she told me in a beautiful encouraging note that she sent me shortly after we had shared the story about Gabby through my blog. It was so touching to me that she would share that with me. She was also to give me some wonderful advice about how to be considerate of Auntie M's feelings and the rollercoaster of emotions that she will be on. I was so nervous about preparing for the birth of our baby girl and how I should treat M. I knew I loved this girl, but I didn't know how to express that to her without smothering her or making it weird. I didn't even know what I really wanted or didn't want from her or to give to her. I was walking in a fog that week leading up to Gabby's birth. My emotions were all over the place. I wasn't eating, wasn't sleeping and could keep the tears from falling....tears of joy, excitement, fear, sadness for M.

I know that God put this BirthMom, and so many others that I have also heard from, there to play their role in this incredible story. Just as only those allowing God to work through them can do, her encouragement and advice came exactly when I needed it.

Psalm 32:8 I will instruct you and teach you in the way you should go; I will counsel you with my eye upon you.

May wrapped up as an incredible month of growth, love and happiness. It has been quite a crazy last few months, but we are so looking forward to everything to come. I know it is going to keep getting better and better and better with God at the helm!

No comments:

Post a Comment