Thursday, February 16, 2012

Outpouring of Love!!!

I can hardly believe that we found out we were going to have a newborn baby girl joining our family about 1 week ago. SO much has happened in that week. In order to help me keep track (and pass the time while I wait anxiously for my baby girl - these things are the only things I seem to be able to concentrate on right now!) I thought I should update my blog with more details that have unfolded.

As you know from last Friday's post, we certainly expected that we would be holding our baby girl today based on what that day's doctor visit's outcome was. Birth mom, "M", and I were told that if she made it through the weekend without going into labor (which was unlikely in the doc's opinion) then she would surely induce her by Thursday (today!). However, we went in Tuesday for a Non-stress test to hear a very happy and healthy heart beat that indicated to another doctor in the practice that we should continue to wait it out for the rest of the week. According to her baby girl is still on the smaller side (around 5lbs or so) and given they have never been certain about a due date they felt like giving her a little more time to mature in the womb would be best. It was heart wrenching news for both M and me as we were planning to have a baby in the next couple of days at most. We even thought she might be progressed far enough along that they would induce her then. Not the case, though. She was still hovering around 3cm dilated which is what she had been at Friday's appt.

As hard as this wait is on me and my family, I know that M is going through her own range of emotions and heartache that I can't imagine. I remember what it felt like in those final weeks and days of pregnancy and it is physically very difficult (at least it always was for me - maybe had something to do with my 40-60lb weight gain with each one!) let alone the emotional strain that any woman is dealing with being muliplied for M. I know she is ready to move forward in this process, as well. It breaks my heart when she tells me she is sorry that nothing is happening, though. I have tried to reassure her that it is not her fault and this is totally up to God and that baby girl. She will come when it is time!

While everything happened so suddenly and we felt an enormous amount of pressure to get everything done quickly just knowing that she could be here "any minute", it has actually worked out well. Derek and I are "doers" and if something needs done we just jump on it full speed ahead. On top of that we have had the most incredible outpouring of love from our friends and family that has made it possible to get everything done without draining our reserves.

Let me recap the amazing blessings we have received from people in our lives this week - as much for you all to be encouraged as we were and for us to never forget as this experience will someday be a distant memory, but we will always have my writings to look back and reflect on!

On Friday, Feb. 10th it was my birthday. I was supposed to go out to breakfast with my girlfriend Angie, who I later found out had organized a "surprise birthday breakfast" for me by inviting several other girlfriends to join us. Unfortunately I had to cancel my breakfast with Angie in order to go to the doctor's appt to meet M and see my baby girl on the ultrasound screen for the first time (I have been carrying those pictures around for a week and looking at them a 100x a day!). I am sure they were disappointed to not go through with the plan, but each of these girls (all of which I saw later that day) never said a word about it and instead were very supportive and excited to hear about my baby appt. and ask what I needed or how they could help.....they still had one more plan for celebration up their sleeves (more on that later! :)

That night as we were wrapping up from basketball games, etc. my sweet friend and neighbor, Claudia shows up with a crib for me to start putting together the baby’s room. We couldn't wait to get it set up. Another friend, Stephanie, had given me a beautiful Baby Gap crib set she had picked up one afternoon while shopping. It had been sitting in my closet for 6 months....I had no idea it would be needed so soon!

The next day was Saturday and my girlfriend, Adriana, called me to come over and go through baby clothes so I could take what I needed. When I got there her husband, Jose Carlos, and her had already set every piece of baby equipment they were no longer using (their baby girl is 14 months old) into the foyer for me to take. In addition they had pulled out a half a dozen boxes of baby clothes ranging from 3 months to 12 months of age! I literally filled my truck (and I have a BIG truck) up when I left. My boys and I spent the entire next day going through 3 large bags full of baby clothes. It was so much fun to see all those tiny little pink outfits!

Saturday night we were supposed to go to a party at my girlfriend Angie's house. As much as we both wanted to go we were so tired. We decided not to join the tournament (this was a Euchre party) but to at least go hang out since we knew everyone who would be there and very much wanted to see them and have a little time relaxing. I was so glad we went! Apparently the girls had decided to move my surprise celebration to that night. They had a cake (Chocolate from Servati - one of my very favs!!!:) and candles and everyone sang me happy birthday. A happy birthday it was indeed!!!

On Sunday we got a message on our way home from church from a neighbor and friend, Carla, offering to give us "the only piece of baby equipment left in her house" :) - a cradle. We stopped after church and picked it up. It is literally perfect! Soon afterwards my girlfriend, Angie, stopped by with a beautiful glider rocker that she had used with her boys. It has a white wood frame which meant it matched everything else in the nursery perfect! I know that it meant allot to Angie as it was such a part of her memories of her 3 boys growing up, but she still chose to let us use it. It was the perfect finishing touch to the nursery! As if that wasn't enough she even came back a few days later with a small white bookshelf that fit in perfectly and provided more storage for those cute little baskets filled with blankets, shoes and other misc. baby items :)

Over the weekend we worked hard to get the nursery ready, all of her clothes washed and put away and get ourselves and our boys as organized as possible. We even packed an overnight bag for Derek and me to take to the hospital - praying that we will be able to stay with her and bond - and one for our boys to take if they need to spend the night with grandma. We were sure it was going to happen just like the doctor said! But it didn't....labor never started.

On Monday we continued to get calls, texts and facebook posts encouraging us and letting us know that so many people had our family in their prayers. That has been a huge comfort to me and I am not sure how I would be doing right now without it. We know that prayer is never the least that someone can do!

We also received a message from a friend from church, actually that we have known many years (since high school), Teena, that she would like to come and paint the nursery for us. We wanted to get it painted (Derek and I are not painters - we try, but it isn't pretty!) but hadn't really had time to hire anyone or even pick out the colors. Well, by Wednesday afternoon the entire room had been painted by her and looked amazing! We moved all the furniture back in Wednesday evening and it looks so sweet and girly. It is soooo PINK - perfect!! :)

During this time we also received a beautiful white eyelet bassinet from another member of our church, Juanita. Angie brought over a bumper and sheets for the cradle, as well. All of these things have just happened in the last 5 days. Prior to us finding out about God's adoption plan for us with this baby girl we had been preparing for our Chinese daughter. Knowing she would be older we had many girlfriends supplying us with little girl items even several months ago. Chrissy gave her our first Barbie ;) , as well as, numerous other items including clothes. She even recently bought her a beautiful kitchen set! Amber brought over bags of toddler girl clothes for me to go through, Jen brought me an entire little girl's twin bedding set and another neighbor, Suzanne, gave me Pottery barn lamps, matching rug and twin size bedding, as well. I am sure I am forgetting some things...my brain is pretty much mush right now so I hope I didn't forget someone!

Then just yesterday as I came home Derek informed me that a friend (who was trying not to  be discovered but was), Ashley, dropped by 3 gift bags of things she collected after reaching out to her neighbors and friends since she did not had any girl items of her own. The bags contained both new and used layette items, toys and a beautiful open knit pink baby blanket that I adore. I always had that same style for my boys (Parker still sleeps with his) as I didn't fear them getting wrapped up in it and not being able to breathe....maybe I spent too much times thinking about those things!

The outpouring of love and support from friends and neighbors has been unbelievable. I feel so undeserving, but so thankful and so blessed!

As I sit hear writing this a package is delivered to my door....it's from our brother, Rob (Derek's older brother) and sister-in-law, Rashell, in California filled the most adorable items for our baby girl! Derek and I literally cried as we read the beautiful enclosed card. The outside read, "With God all things are possible." Mark 10:27 and the inside was filled with a beautiful message full of love written by Rashell.

I am forever grateful for the incredible relationships that we have in our lives. I know that God has put each and every one of you into our lives and us into yours for a reason- many reasons perhaps. I am so thankful for God's watchful eye, guiding hand and loving spirit. Feeling that all in the natural world through all of these incredible acts of kindness is priceless. I pray that I never forget how amazing we feel in this moment and are able to love people the way we have been loved. Nothing feels better than this!

Tomorrow is another follow-up appointment with M. We will again get to see our little one on the ultrasound screen, hear her strong heartbeat and find out if M is progressing. We do hope that we also learn once and for all when they will induce her. I mean this can't go on forever, right! ;)

Of course, we will continue to update this blog with any progress that may happen over the next few days. I pray that the next blog update in written between diaper changes and feedings with my little girl safely in my arms :)

We welcome the continued prayers. Saying that this has been difficult emotionally would be a severe understatement!

God bless you all and THANK YOU from the bottom of our hearts!

No comments:

Post a Comment